Our family

Our family

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Mighty Mighty Headquarters

I’ve been assigned to a headquarters unit in San Antonio, Texas, for two months. This is the first of a few notes I plan on writing about it.

Just some interesting things that happened since I got here.

The headquarters was just moving into a new building this last week. I was setting up my workstation along with most people that work here normally. I am working on public websites so I am working in Public Affairs Office. In the move to this building there was an apparent free-for-all for monitors and people tried to grab dual monitors for themselves. There is a pretty strict policy against dual monitors here in HQ. Even the computer techie guys don’t get them. Yet, here I show up with dual 24" screens and a laptop to boot. My temporary supervisor here didn't care, but I got a few dirty looks. Especially from those that were shorted even one monitor.

Somebody screwed up a timer or something and the building's AC went off at midnight Saturday night. In the office this morning, it was 87 degrees. They got the AC working a couple hours ago. Public Works saves the day again! It's now down to 78 and the person across the cube from me just put on her sweater.

My office is near the commanders’ suite. As I put my lunch in the fridge in the break room this morning, a one-star general was grabbing some ice water and putting his own lunch away. We compared salads. He said to me that some people think working at HQ is hell and that the temperature in here confirmed it.

I'm going to be doing a lot of content updates to their public website. I will hopefully get to meet every director in HQ. The webmaster and I laid out a pretty good plan to get the content management system (they are currently using Knowledge Dispatch) looking/functioning as it should. I think I should be done by mid to late August. Just the perfect timeframe. I will try to write you guys some notes along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment