Our family

Our family

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

San Antonio Summer Camp

We’ve been consistently over 100 degrees every day here in San Antonio, but now it’s starting to get hot.

The main part of this last week for me has been about gathering content from the different sources. I am going to each area and sitting down with them about what is on their website currently, what is not on their website currently, and what should be on their website in the future. I’m getting a good overview of how all these headquarters pieces work together to form one unit. There’s a lot of responsibility shifting between the directorates that comes out as they define their mission/vision to be published on a website. To a certain extent I feel like a referee in a cage match – I didn’t start the fight nor am I a part of it, but I do need to bring both parties to a decision.

From a technical standpoint, the web content manager they are using could be better. You can only create/edit the web pages in a proprietary editor that runs inside a browser. The only options are notepad-style HTML editing or a WYSIWYG editor that isn’t always what you saw in the editor. I have brushed off the dust off the old HTML skillset and I am editing that way. Also, the cascading style sheets (CSS) don’t seem to inherit down correctly, thus completely defeating the idea of “cascading” style sheets.

My family got down here last week and my work days have settled into a nice 0700-1530 schedule. The traffic getting into work is horrendous. My commute in Washington is in much better shape traffic wise than here in Texas. I’m working inside the San Antonio city limits close to downtown. Without traffic, I can be at my office building in less than 20 minutes. Every morning, I leave by 0610 to be here by 0700. Next week, I’m playing in the HQ Golf Tournament!

When we got to work yesterday, the AC had gone off again over the weekend – second time in 3 weeks. It was 85 in the office. The AC repair guys were called every name in the book around here til lunchtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment