Our family

Our family

Monday, August 22, 2011

Adventures in Texas... Part 5

As I sit down to write this, we have officially started the countdown to coming home. One week from right now I will be in the Phoenix Airport heading to Seattle. It is so crazy how going into this the idea of spending 6 weeks seemed like such a long time. Now that it is coming to a close I wish we had more time. This whole experience has been such a blessing for our family. We have been able to spend so much quality time together and do things that we definitely wouldn't have done in Washington.

I feel like there is still so much I want to do that we haven't done and want to do again that we have done. We won't fit all of it in, but we can try:-) I still have several ideas for outings with the kids and we'll have one more fun Texas weekend this weekend. The only thing I don't think I will get to experience is a good thunderstorm. I know that sounds crazy, but I was looking forward to a good thunderstorm. The weather in WA is so mild that we never have one. Well....we have been here about 5 weeks and haven't seen a drop of rain. The temp has hit 100 every day we have been here. They are saying this is one of the hottest, driest summers ever.

As for our adventures this past week.....I took the kids up to San Marcos to enjoy a glass bottom boat tour. This was such a fun experience. Unlike WA where our lakes are fed by glaciers up in the mountains, these lakes down here are spring fed, so the water comes up from under the earth. The glass bottom boat allows you to see some of these springs as well as fish, turtles and the occasional diver.

This kids and I enjoyed our last day at Six Flags this week also. It was a very long day as we decided since it was our last day we would ride every ride they wanted to. Well.....we made it through the whole park and water park. There was however a little disappointment when we got out of the waterpark. I told the kids they could each pick out one last ride, not knowing that the park closed at 7pm that night. Well....we got out of the waterpark and all the rides were closed. The kids were a little sad, but still thankful for their fun day. I felt bad, so I surprised them with another last visit Friday morning on our way to the beach. They were so surprised but had a fun couple of hours riding their favorite rides. In total I think we went 6 times this summer. It sure was a good time.

The best adventure this week was going to Port Aransas on the Gulf of Mexico. We went down Friday and Saturday nights. It was such a great beach town and wasn't too crowded, which is probably due to the fact that all the kids down here are starting school today. We found a great small town hotel and enjoyed swimming in the ocean, laying in the sun and walking along the beach.

I am going to try to enjoy our last week of vacation while we are here. I'm already starting to think of the crazy whirwind that is going to happen when we get home. I need to do grocery shopping (there is NO food in the house), school supply shopping, school clothes shopping, pick up Doug from the airport, pick up Sage, kids open house at school.........I guess it's back to the craziness of life:-) See you all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment