Our family

Our family

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Wrapping Up the Assignment

It’s been a little while since my last note – 11 days. This is good, because I am busy and things are getting done.

A little over a week ago I was finally given access to the web server to make content updates. Up to this point I am been working to gather information and create a process that will help HQ update their website on a regular basis. Now I can start making those updates. The technology is not the easiest to work with but it is rewarding to see the labor of the last six weeks come to fruition. The customers that are getting their pages updated are pretty happy well, which makes it that much better.

The web owners have decided to hold off on the content management system migration for few months. Right now there is a workload and manpower issue that would not help the success of the migration. I successfully created a migration package for the current website to the new server, but it came across static. The template couldn’t be edited dynamically. I am working to create a migration process that will migrate current content onto a custom template in the new CMS. It was already suggested to me that they “may” need some help in November when it comes time to actually do the migration. I quickly changed the subject.

My fun side project has been working with a separate team on a possible mobile solution for our larger enterprise. There is a company that claims to be able to do secure smart card authentication via web browser and/with third party software to a iPhone/iPad or Android. I will be participating in a conference call with the company tomorrow.

Finally, I have about one week left and I am completing my assigned tasks. Lots to do!

It has been a good trip both professionally and personally. My family and I have had a great time doing all kinds of Texas stuff – rodeo, barbeque, riverwalk, swimming in lakes and rivers. Last weekend we went to the beach or as my 5 year old called it, “The Mexican Golf Course” (instead of the Gulf of Mexico).

No comments:

Post a Comment